Lightweight Knit Shrug

Shrug

Shrug and pattern

One of my unfinished projects was uncovered in the de-cluttering process of moving. So, I finished it. It took me approximately 30 minutes to finish it.

This shrug will come in handy when the temperature drops in the Fall.

A Touch of Van Gogh

A salute to Van Gogh was my inspiration for this jersey knit sleeveless shirt-waist dress.

Shirt waist sleeveless dress

When I sewed my vintage shirt-waist dress (previous post) I had to make several pattern adjustments. So, I dug out my tablet with all my pattern drafting notes, and decided to make me a bodice slooper. So, I went about making my basic pattern.

Slooper Pattern

Slooper Pattern 2

Then, using remnant pieces, I sewed up a muslin-like prototype.

bodice sloper

This allowed me to see that the front and back lengths were too short. So, I added to the lengths. Now, I have a basic that fits quite well.

Satisfied, I then went to my fabric stash and found this lovely piece of fabric that reminded me of Van Gogh’s art.

I made a skirt pattern–I wanted a slightly gathered skirt. Then instead of making the gathers all along the waistline I moved the gathers toward the side seams. I did not want a back zipper so I put a side zipper in. I lined the skirt portion of the dress. The neckline and armholes were topped stitched to add more detail.

To spice up the dress, I crocheted a single braid type of trim. Then in my treasure box, I found an ivory square belt buckle. Placing the buckle in the front center, I pinned the trim to the bodice top and sewed it onto the dress. Presto! A mock belt.

Crocheted belt and ivory buckle

Raw Silk Shift

raw silk dress close up

Made this dress a while ago and did not care for the fit. Spent the day working on alterations. Took apart all of the princess seams and cut down the panels and resewed them. All raw seams were finished with my serger. The neckline and armholes were top-stitched to add some detail. Now, the dress fits the way I like it. Left the right front seam open to create a slit.

I am so grateful to my parents who scrimped to send me to sewing classes when I was a teenager. Subsequently, my sewing skills and my love for sewing allows me to make another summer dress.

Vintage Dress

Shirt-waist dress

hand crocheted braid

Found this black and cream print fabric that I knew would look good as a vintage dress. So I made a shirt-waist sleeveless dress. The bodice has bust and waist darts. The skirt is a simple gathered skirt. There is a 22-inch back zipper. To keep the zipper flap close, to the top of the zipper, I sewed on a hook and eye closure. I lined the dress with a cream lining.

Originally, I used black knit cro-sheen crochet thread to make a little belt. Changed my mind and used the crochet belt as a braid. Attached the braid before sewing in the back zipper. To make the belt/braid–using a size 8 hook and chained 6, ch3, turn, dc in each chain. Subsequent rows are all in dc. Work until you have the desired length then fasten off.

Getting Ready for Summer

In anticipation for summer, I’ve made a couple of satin camisoles to wear with my lightweight, airy, lacy crochet tops. Each top took about 2/3’s of a yard of fabric. The yoke was decorated with rows of machine embroidery to give a quilted effect.

gold camisole

tan camisole

Embroidered Yoke

Needlework Escapades

Since my last post, I rediscovered lonely projects that were set aside.  I’ve spent the last few weeks completing them.  The first one completed was a lacy knit shrug.  It is made with claret colored chenille yarn.  It was worked in a one-piece process.  I started with the ribbing of one sleeve then worked the body and ended with the ribbing of the second sleeve.  Each sleeve ribbing was stitched closed and the shrug was done.

Image

The next waiting project was a crocheted baby blanket using the African flower hexagon.  This blanket went to Project Linus.  It was made of 24 hexagons.  Diamond shaped pieces were used when piecing them all together along with 4 triangle pieces in the header and footer rows.

Image

Image

Now, reinvigorated with the crafting bug, I went through my box of unfinished projects and pulled out another crocheted piece.  This one was a lacy top made in knit cro-sheen thread.

Imageh

I think I’ve finished my stash of unfinished projects.  I’m off to start a new set of projects.