Scrub Addition!

During the summer, while in St. Louis, Mo., I picked up yardage of a navy blue fabric to make my daughter a scrub set for work. using a pattern that I love, I made this set for her.

Navy Scrub Top  It took me at least half a day to make this set.  I was really thrilled with the outcome.

Then, I got a great idea to make another top with a holiday themed fabric and because Halloween is right around the corner, I used this goblin and pumpkin piece that was in my stash.  The black trim accents were remnants from previous projects.

Ghostly Delight IMG_0169  This navy scrub is trimmed with a bright orange and blue Halloween print.  This was a smaller piece so I had to use the Halloween themed fabric as my trim.  Making these scrub tops was fun.

Little Top for A Little Princess

So, I wanted to make a simple top for my 3-year-old grandniece.  This is what I made.

 

Simple tee

Simple tee

 

Whipped this simple top up and gave it to my niece.  Alas, it was too short.  Got it make to refashion.  Luckily, I did not get rid of the left over fabric.  The challenge lay in how to work in a refashioning.  So, this is what I came up with.

 

Ruffle Addition

Ruffle Addition

An addition of a ruffle and trimming with gold satin ribbon, made this top a tunic.  Now, it fits to a tee.

 

Cool Jersey Knit Ruffled Top

??????????????? ??????????????????????????????????????

I had this Jersey Knit fabric in my fabric stash which I thought would make a great blouse.  I used this Simplicity Sew Simple pattern and made a few modifications.  For one thing, I did not make the flowers that are on the original design.  I thought it would be a bit too much.  The neckline was a bit too low for me so I added a bib from the same fabric.  Instead of traditional facings, I used matching bias tape.  The interior seams are all serged.  At the waistline, instead of making a casing, I neatly finished the waist seam line and stitched it down (to lay flat).  Then using the desired measured elastic, I sewed the ends together making a circle.  I found 4 equal points on this circle and marked them with a pin.  Then I aligned these positions with the center front and back as well as the sides.  Then using a zig-zag stitch and stretching the elastic as I sewed, I attached the elastic.  I used 1/4 inch elastic which gives enough body to this piece so it fits snugly.  Now, I have a perfect summer top.